Filed under A&E

SOOP performed ‘The Little Mermaid JR’ March 9-11 (from our mid-year print edition)

PELHAM MANOR โ€” The SOOP Theatre Company performed “The Little Mermaid JR” March 9-11, with many students from Colonial in a production that has a cast including students in grades third through eighth. SOOP stands for Seat Of Our Pants.

This is Jonah Snyder’s second year doing SOOP. He was cast as the captain. “I enjoy SOOP because I get to sing, act, dance and have fun,” she said. “Last year, I was in the ensemble. But this year is special because I got a bigger role.”

Tickets for the show were $22. The rehearsals and shows were at the Manor Club Theater. “The Little Mermaid JR” is SOOP’s STAR Winter Mainstage Production.

There are two casts: Cast A and Cast B. Each cast performed in two shows, with matinees and evening shows held over the weekend.

Josie Leff (5S) is performing in a SOOP show for the first time and is in the ensemble. “I wanted to do SOOP because I saw my friends do it, and they told me they enjoyed it, and also because I want to become a musician when I grow up, so I thought musical theater would be a good start,” she said.

Cathleen Ginsburg (3L) also joined for the first time this year and has a role in the ensemble. “I wanted to do SOOP because I like theater, and I can express myself,” Cathleen said. “I also like musicals and Broadway.”

Ryan Feldman (3L), also in the ensemble, said, “I wanted to do SOOP because I wanted something to help project my voice, and I think this will help. I also enjoy theater.”

Plum Durham (5H) participated in SOOP last year, but decided to quit. “I kind of liked SOOP,” she said. “It was a so-so thing. It was a lot of time and expensive. I was very nervous.”

SOOP Theatre Company offers another Mainstage Production, also known as the Fall Mainstage Production, for 9-12 graders.

The intensive rehearsals for “The Little Mermaid JR” began Jan. 27 and ran to March 8. They were nearly every day, and actors had weekend rehearsals once a week.

About the Writer
Gillian Ho, Student Life Editor
Hi, my name is Gillian, and I am in 5S. My favorite color is purple, and my birthday is Oct. 19. My favorite books are “Wonder” and “I Will Always Write Back.” I have a pet bunny named Beck, who is super cute! I play violin, cello and take voice lessons. My favorite movie is...