Filed under News, Top Stories

Last year’s editors return to Colonial to give fourth and fifth graders tips about newspaper, middle school

Back to Article
Back to Article

Last year's editors, now in sixth grade, visited the Colonial Times.

COLONIAL LIBRARY — Editors and staff reporters entered the room. Sitting in front were nine Colonials Times alumni chatting happily. All of the sixth graders, Emily Rackley, Lian Spencer, Laura Shelton, Gabby Ahitow, Madeline Smith, Julia Kindig, Natalia Christian, Jaylin Santiago, and Matthew Michialoff, gave the current staff tips about sixth grade and the newspaper.

There were a couple of questions about the Colonial Times, while most of the questions were about the sixth graders’ experiences at Pelham Middle School.

“I liked being an editor because your friends always have your back,” said Natalia Cristian.

“Always have your pencil and your notebook” advised Julia Kindig.

There were many comments about sixth grade because the Colonial students—mainly the fifth graders—had many questions about middle school.

“I have gotten lost in the hallways,” said Emily.

When asked which they liked better elementary or middle School, Matthew said, “Elementary school because sixth grade is kind of confusing. There’s parts that are better or worse. The food is not actually good.”

Laura said, “I like middle school better because you have more freedom. You can just walk the halls with your friends. You have more independence.”

“I fell down the stairs once because a high-schooler pushed me down,” said Emily.

There were several tips about how to dodge giant eighth graders. “Eighth graders are scary,” said Emily.

“When you find an open gap squeeze, through it,” Natalia said.

All of the former editors advised the Colonial students to be constantly early.

“If the eighth graders elbow you, elbow them back,” said Laura. “If you get lost, they call you over the loudspeaker.”

One teacher “grabs a ruler and smacks it on the desk and everyone stops,” she said.

The middles school has its own online newspaper, The Pelham Post, available at pelhampostpms.org.

Colonial Times reporters and editors contributing to the reporting of this story.

About the Writers
Julia Findikyan, A&E Editor

Hi, my name is Julia and I am 10 years old. My favorite color is blue. My favorite food is pasta, and my favorite book is "The Keeper of the Lost Cities."...

Ben Martucci, A&E Editor

Hi! I am Ben Martucci. I like to play soccer and lacrosse. I play for Pelham lacrosse, and I play rec soccer and travel soccer. I have two dogs, Kelsey,...

Arden Keough, News Editor

Arden Keough loves to play soccer. Her team is the Ambush. Her hobbies are lacrosse, soccer and swimming. She loves to write. Her favorite book is "Fish...

6 Comments

6 Responses to “Last year’s editors return to Colonial to give fourth and fifth graders tips about newspaper, middle school”

1. Gillian Ho on January 16th, 2018 7:58 PM

Great story ben and julia!! I love your quotes!

2. Baez on January 23rd, 2018 4:48 PM

Terrific story guys! You did an amazing job! 🙂

3. Anjali Shekher on February 13th, 2018 4:30 PM

Great job Ben and Julia

4. Maxim Katchoura on February 27th, 2018 4:32 PM

I agree

5. Sabine on February 13th, 2018 5:01 PM

Great story! Great quotes! Great….. EVERYTHING!!

6. Kira Findikyan on March 13th, 2018 3:23 PM

Good Job Guys

*