Filed under News, Top Stories

Spring brings pollen—and allergies for some Colonial kids

Photo by Deepak Patil

COLONIAL SCHOOL — In school, pollen is a big problem for some children with allergies.

Pollen is a powdery substance that is found in trees and flowers. Pollen helps fertilize plants. It comes out in the spring because the flowers bloom in the spring, and pollen comes from the flowers. The symptoms of allergies are sneezing, nasal congestion, runny nose, wheezing, and watery, itchy and red eyes. More than 25 million people in America are allergic to pollen.

“Only about two to four kids a year stay inside with severe allergies,” said Denise McCarthy, the school nurse. “We do need pollen because it helps our flowers bloom.”

One Colonial student said he has a severe allergy to pollen. “It really aggregates me around oak trees,” he said. “Also my eyes are the worst. They turn red and puffy.”

Tips from Ms. McCarthy are “do not touch your face when you have been outside because you can accidentally breathe it in, and your allergies kick in. Also, you have to wash your hands a lot.”

About the Writers
Arden Keough, Staff Reporter
Arden Keough loves to play soccer. Her team is the Power. Her hobbies are sports and acting. She loves to write. She also loves gymnastics. Her favorite movie is “Backbend Kickover.” Her favorite food is mac and cheese.
Alex Dolen, Staff Reporter
My name is Alex Dolen. My favorite sport is swimming. I swim over the the summer. I love reading books. My favorite book is “Dragon Rider.” I love writing in the Colonial newspaper. This is my first year doing it. My favorite color is blue. My favorite food is dairy because I love cheese and...