Filed under News

Behind the scenes at Student Government (from our mid-year print edition)

COLONIAL LIBRARY — The Colonial School Student Government is working to make the school better. Last month, it was employed in running the Pennies for Patients project. Members of Student Government are also looking at adding the Share Table, a new lunch idea, to the cafeteria.

5S Class Representative Liam Ginsburg said that one of Student Government’s main goals is to work on Pennies for Patients, and Pennies for Patients is a program run to raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society is the world’s largest voluntary agency that is dedicated to treating blood cancer. The organization is trying to collect funds to cure leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin’s disease and myeloma. In 2017, the society donated $40.3 million to researching cures. It has collected fifteen billion pennies, a milestone.

“Pennies for Patients starts in late March and all kids from Colonial can donate,” Liam said.

One of Student Government’s other projects is the Share Table. The Share Table is for kids who don’t like their lunch or didn’t bring lunch. Teacher Angela Monteleone tried out the table at Hutchinson School, and it worked like a charm. Everyone used it.

The way it works is students put unopened food they were going to throw out—such as bags of chips and Goldfish—on the Share Table along with the side dishes from hot lunch and cold lunch. Kids who want food, take something.

Vijay Ranganathan of class 4G shared his opinion when asked if he liked the table. He responded with one word, a resounding “no.”

Peyton Kerr, class representative for 5S, said a side project the government is working on is fixing the lunch bins for the school.

The current lunch bins are old laundry baskets that have classes’ names scribbled on them in marker. They are missing handles and pieces of them always fall of when kids carry them up the stairs. They also have sharp, pointy ends that you can get easily scratched by.

Peyton said that they will do everything in their power to replace the old dysfunctional bins with a better solution.

About the Writers
Will Dunhill, Our Town Editor
Hi, my name is Will Dunhill. My favorite sport is hockey. I have two brothers, one sister and a dog. I like video games, water skiing and playing with my friends. My favorite food is Chinese chicken and rice.
Joe Martucci, Student Life Editor
Joe Martucci is 10 years old. He is in fifth grade. He loves to ski and play soccer, lacrosse, and basketball. He also plays piano. He loves hamburgers and chocolate milk. He likes to play Minecraft and Madden on his WiiU. He has a baby sister, twin brother and mom and dad. He also has...