Filed under News, Top Stories

Colonial Times editors learn what it’s like to work at the Pel Mel on recent visit

PMHS — The Colonial Times editors received advice and council from the staff of the Pel Mel, the student newspaper of Pelham Memorial High School, during a recent visit.

While in PHMS, the editors got to interview Pel Mel editors and speak with the advisor, Neil Schleifer. One thing they learned from that trip is that the paper has been going for 94 years. At the Pel Mel, they always proofread their work, and nobody works alone because everyone has to do their part. Unlike the Colonial Times, the Pel Mel includes a photo montage page. 

The Colonial Times editors each picked a high school editor to interview. They asked questions like “How long have you been working for the newspaper?” and “What section do you work for?” The high school editors gave some writing and reporting advice: “Don’t procrastinate, and get your story done.” Also, “Branch out, and don’t  always stick to your favorite.”

“Just because you have a certain skill, doesn’t mean you shouldn’t try anything new,” said Mr. Schleifer.

Jayson Reynolds, a Pel Mel art editor, said his favorite part about working at the newspaper is hearing about the news and then sharing it with the school. His favorite story to write is a sports story because he gets to write about jocks and cool kids.

“I love being an editor because I get to put my own voice into the paper,” said Caroline Franks, an associate features editor.

The 94-year-old paper comes out six times a year. The staff recently published number four. Each paper takes six weeks to report, write, design and layout.

All the kids who worked on the paper from day one back in 1925 to today have “thumb-printed the paper,” said Mr. Schleifer.

Second-year graphic design & layout editor Chris Cough said, “The best thing to do when you hit high school is to join the Pel Mel.”

The room that the two Pel Mel journalism classes use is very functional and convenient to all the students who work there. It gives students the chance to have their own personal work space and collaborate. 

First year staffer Daniela Christian, a freshman, said there are some try times when participating in newspaper. “It is a lot of stress when you have a story in the print paper because you are under pressure to finish it as soon as possible.”

Claire Van Praagh was the coordinating editor of this story.

About the Writers
Charlotte Seligman, News Editor
I am 10 years old. I love to act, sing, dance and bake. I love being on the Colonial newspaper. I have a cat named Cha-Cha, a dog named Stanley and a sister named Lola. My favorite book is Where the Mountain meets the Moon and my favorite color is yellow. My favorite soup is my...
Claire Van Praagh, Student Life Editor
Claire loves soccer, running, basketball and gymnastics. She also likes acting and singing. Claire edits for the Student Life section of the Colonial Times newspaper. She enjoys coming to the library every Tuesday and writing about her new stories.
Kira Findikyan, News Editor
Kira Findikyan loves everything pink. She loves soccer, acting, singing, basketball, newspaper and piano. Kira has an identical twin sister, older brother and awesome dog Henry. Her favorite food is Mac and Cheese which she would eat for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner if she could and she loves the Harry Potter and Percy Jackson series...
Julia Findikyan, A&E Editor
Hi, my name is Julia and I am 10 years old. My favorite color is blue. My favorite food is pasta, and my favorite book is “The Keeper of the Lost Cities.” I especially love being an editor on the Colonial Times. The things I like to do are play soccer, baking, bike riding, acting,...
Lark Martin, A&E Editor
Lark Martin is Colonial Times A&E Editor. She loves to write comics and novels. Also, she rides horses, plays tennis and volleyball. She was born in San Antonio, Texas, and moved to Pelham in 2014. Lark’s favorite book is “Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.” Her favorite color is blue. She has wonderful friends and family....
Sabine Bushong, Our Town Editor
Hello!! I am Sabine Bushong. I enjoy newspaper and dance, and yoga. My favorite color is rose gold. I was born in 2007. I am the youngest of three kids in a family of five. I was born in a  hospital in New York and love NYC’s pretzels (with spicy mustard), falafel, bubble tea and hot dogs...
Timothy Magambo, A&E Editor
I’m in fifth grade. I love movies. “Spiderman Homecoming” is the best. I’m a soccer player. I’m a gamer for life. I love me a Greek salad. I have a younger brother and a mom and dad.
Joe Martucci, Student Life Editor
Joe Martucci is 10 years old. He is in fifth grade. He loves to ski and play soccer, lacrosse, and basketball. He also plays piano. He loves hamburgers and chocolate milk. He likes to play Minecraft and Madden on his WiiU. He has a baby sister, twin brother and mom and dad. He also has...
Ben Martucci, A&E Editor
Hi! I am Ben Martucci. I like to play soccer and lacrosse. I play for Pelham lacrosse, and I play rec soccer and travel soccer. I have two dogs, Kelsey, who is a rescue, and Moxie, who was in the Puppy Bowl. My mom works for People magazine as an editor. She also wrote a book...
Gillian Ho, Student Life Editor
Hi, my name is Gillian, and I am in 5S. My favorite color is purple, and my birthday is Oct. 19. My favorite books are “Wonder” and “I Will Always Write Back.” I have a pet bunny named Beck, who is super cute! I play violin, cello and take voice lessons. My favorite movie is...
Jada-Lynn Baez, Student Life Editor
My name is Jada-Lynn Baez. I am ten years old. I love to play many sports! Some of my favorite sports are lacrosse, basketball, soccer and softball. I have a pet puppy named Rhaegar and I love hime a lot. I am reading the Dork Diaries series and the Harry Potter series. I love fiction...
2 Comments

2 Responses to “Colonial Times editors learn what it’s like to work at the Pel Mel on recent visit”

1. Anjali Shekher on May 8th, 2018 3:41 PM

Love the story guys great job!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Reply]

2. Kira Findikyan on May 22nd, 2018 5:08 PM

Awesome Story! Yay Editors!!

[Reply]

*