Filed under Our Town, Top Stories

Colonial students say goodbye to doing SOOP Theater shows, at least for now

Back to Article
Back to Article

MANOR CLUB — The SOOP Theater Company, which has offered Colonial students years of musical and acting education, canceled its production of “Seussical Jr.” after failing to reach an agreement with the Manor Club to use the club’s auditorium.

On SOOP’s website, the company said, “We are deeply saddened by this unfortunate turn of events. We were unable to find a way forward in these recent negotiations.”

The Manor Club said in a press release it couldn’t do a new deal until bills for previous productions were paid.

SOOP Artistic Director Paul Romanello replied in a statement, “SOOP, though feeling forced to defend itself, will remain on the ‘high road’ in this process and not share the many details of this very difficult renegotiation, but we would like to make it perfectly clear that ALL of SOOP’s responses were necessary and unavoidable.”

“SOOP was okay,” fourth grader Zoe Bressler said. “It was fun, but they always made the stupidest characters.”

Many Colonial students from second through fifth grades enjoyed SOOP and are sad that this year’s show has been canceled.

“I really liked SOOP, but I’m really disappointed that the main show was cancelled,” said Sophie Kim.

Although the Manor Club refused to host any more SOOP shows, SOOP reassured everyone that they will restart again in a new location.

About the Writer
Evan Kaplan, Staff Reporter

Evan Kaplan is nine years old and in fourth grade. Evan plays tennis and swimming. His achievements are winning the Colonial Spelling bee in the fourth...

1 Comment

One Response to “Colonial students say goodbye to doing SOOP Theater shows, at least for now”

1. Katherine Howells on January 30th, 2019 1:11 PM

I really liked your story and I thought it was so entertaining that made me read more.

*