The Big Apple Circus

The clock was ticking. It was another boring day- for my siblings at least. But I was waiting for something to happen. Something that I had swore I wouldn’t tell my brother and sister about because today we were going to the circus! My insides felt like they were dancing inside my body! But something nagged at the back of my mind. What if there were clowns? I hate clowns but I forgot all about them when my dad walked into the room. Before he had even had opened his mouth, I had jumped up and sprinted into the foyer. As I was pulling my sneakers on, I heard the squeals of delight from my brother and sister, as my dad told them the news.

.  .  .  .  .

About half an hour later, we arrived at the big apple circus. We were standing in front of a simple white tent. Suddenly my heart sank slightly. “What if there were just boring people juggling for two hours?” I thought. But I changed my mind when I walked in.”WOW!” I said loudly. I looked above us. There was a huge billboard saying in big golden letters BIG APPLE CIRCUS around a huge red apple. We walked deeper in- there were stalls full of hot dogs, cotton candy, popcorn, lollipops, soda, and, candy.  I got a hot dog, popcorn , and cotton candy, so did my family. When we entered the stage ring, I gasped. Thousands of seats came together to form a huge circle. In the center, there was a small ring full of  sand. Behind the ring there was a curtained entrance. Above the entrance, there was a huge dome with wiggly lines around it. I thought it looked like a brain. Inside “the Brain”  was people with instruments: it was the orchestra!

.  .  .  .  .

Finally, ten minutes later, the lights dimmed and my insides felt like they were dancing inside my body because three men in blazers had just come out of the curtained entrance, carrying a trampoline. Behind them, another man came out. He was also wearing a blazer but it was sparkly with white gloves and a top hat. “The ring master.” my dad whispered to me. Then I saw my brother and sister staring open mouthed at the three men I looked to. Two of them were at the base of the trampoline dressed in leotards. One green, and one yellow. The third man was bouncing and flipping on the trampoline in his blazer. When he finished, his blazer and pants fell away to reveal a blue leotard. During the next two hours, we saw dogs riding on goats, goats riding on horses, camels twisting and turning, flying traipses, and many other things I had never dreamed of! And as we drove home, the only thing I could think of was the Big Apple Circus.

About the Writer
Scarlett Kaplan, Staff Reporter

My name is Scarlett Kaplan. I am almost nine years old. My birthday is July 15. I like to go swimming and ride my bike. I have a little sister named Iris...

5 Comments

5 Responses to “The Big Apple Circus”

1. Scarlett Kaplan on December 18th, 2015 1:31 PM

I love it!!!!!!!!!:) 🙂 🙂

2. Scarlett Kaplan on December 18th, 2015 1:32 PM

thank you scarlett 🙂 🙂 😉

3. Scarlett Kaplan on December 18th, 2015 5:14 PM

that is really cool scarlett!???????

4. Scarlett Kaplan on December 18th, 2015 5:15 PM

thank you scarlett 🙂

5. Evan Kaplan on December 20th, 2018 9:13 PM

Great story sister

*

• Breaking News

Pre Schoolers come to Colonial for Pre School Playdate and Preschool Story Hour

• Breaking News

Fifth Graders have DARE graduation

• Breaking News

Constitution Works is coming up for fifth graders…

• The Big Apple Circus

Breaking News

Philipsburg Manor

• The Big Apple Circus

A&E

Colonial’s Hour of Code

• The Big Apple Circus

Breaking News

Halloween Parade on Friday

• The Big Apple Circus

Breaking News

A New School Pet

• The Big Apple Circus

Sports

Three-pointer swish is sound of rec basketball starting

• Student Life

Colonial didn’t change over the break

• The Big Apple Circus

News

Principal Wilson has lots of really fun plans for this school year

The Big Apple Circus