Filed under Student Life

4th grade plays at Carnegie Hall (from our June print edition)

NEW YORK — The fourth grade classes traveled to Carnegie Hall on May 23—and not just to hear a concert. They were excited to play recorders and sing along with the professionals.

The event, called “The Orchestra Sings,” allows elementary students to play music on their recorders during the performance and be part of the symphony.

Jules Moss was “wondering what’s going to happen” before the fourth graders went.

In advance of the trip, Arden Keough said, “It will be fun.”

The songs the fourth grade played were “To Make Words Sing,” “Ode to Joy,” “Simple Gifts,” “Oye” and “Come to Play.”

Carnegie Hall has 3,671 seats in three auditoriums, the Main Hall, Zankel Hall and Weill Recital Hall.

Built in 1891, it was founded by Andrew Carnegie. The hall was owned by the Carnegies until 1925, when Mr. Carnegie’s widow sold it to Robert E. Simon, a real estate agent. When he died in 1935, it was sold to the Philharmonic, a music company, which held half of the concerts in the hall. Carnegie Hall survived almost being demolished.

According to the hall’s website, “Carnegie Hall’s mission is to present extraordinary music and musicians on the three stages of this legendary hall, to bring the transformative power of music to the widest possible audience.”

In 1986, after renovations, people complained that Carnegie Hall’s famous acoustics were diminished because of a large concrete slab under the stage.

About the Writer
Audrey Davis, Staff Reporter
Hi, my name is Audrey. I like to sing, draw and tell jokes. I also like jiu-jitsu and watching Mets baseball games. My favorite color is turquoise/lavender, and I like lions and coyotes. My favorite foods are sushi and cupcakes. and my favorite game is Roblox.